Chicken Lavash Soup
Who needs noodles? We use Lavash as a substitute for noodles to add texture and serve as a thickening agent.
- 2–3 sheets Atoria’s Family Bakery Lavash
- 2 quarts chicken stock*
- 4 tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded roasted chicken*
- 1/4 cup steamed edamame beans, shelled
- 2 limes, just the juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp. red chili powder
- 7 oz. fresh enoki mushrooms, separated (or other mushrooms and vegetables)
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can combined diced tomatoes and jalapeños
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch (optional)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Stack the sheets of Lavash. Cut into 1/4-inch strips. Place on a greased baking sheet, drizzle about 2 tbsp. oil and bake for 10 minutes until crispy. Reserve a few strips of Lavash for garnish.
- In a blender, place the diced tomatoes and jalapeños. Add a little vegetable broth for a smooth flow. Set aside.
- In a pot, heat 1 tbsp. canola oil. Add the onions and cumin. Cook for a few minutes until translucent. Add the blended tomatoes and chilies, tomato paste and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drizzle the avocados with 2 tbsp. lime juice to prevent oxidation. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tbsp. oil over high heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the enoki mushrooms, edamame beans and red chili powder. Cook for an additional minute.
- Transfer the mushrooms and vegetables to the hot broth. Finish with the shredded chicken and the remaining lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Optional: To thicken the broth a bit, dissolve the cornstarch in a small bowl with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water. Bring the soup to a boil and add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly.
- Add the Lavash strips. Turn off the heat and stir well.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls.
- Add a little bit of avocado into the center of each bowl. Sprinkle the reserved Lavash strips over the top of each bowl and garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 6
In this recipe:Lavash Whole Grain »